Monday, March 24, 2014

Diabetes, too...

Often times, we don't sleep together.  Like Lucy and Ricky but in a different room, even.

This morning I woke up to a noise, not words, just a groan.  It took me a minute to figure out it was my bat signal to get up and help.

Luther has Type II diabetes.  He had a heart attack in April 2013.  In terms of attacks, it was minor.  No heart surgery and a stint was put in to his leg, nothing in his heart.  Other than eating better, there was no real rehab stuff.

We did eat better.  Mostly low sodium, lots of fruit and veggies.  I was cooking more, less going out to eat.

Now, with the ALS, the doctors said don't even think about your diabetes.  Eat what you want.  Eat 3000 calories a day, if you can.  

This morning, he couldn't move because he was so weak.  The sheets were drenched.  His body felt clammy and cold.  We got him ice cream, orange juice, an english muffin with peanut butter.  More oj.   He did perk up a bit, he could open his eyes, he could move again.

I got him up to go to the bathroom and it was hard.  He couldn't lift his arms to put them on my shoulders, for support.  I put my arms around his waist but it was awkward.  He walked like a drunk Frankenstein. Lurching.  His right side seemed worse off than ever.

I could see the goose bumps on his arms and back.  He's so cold.

We got him back to bed.  Covered him up.  I'll check on him in about 1/2 hour and see what's up.


2 comments:

  1. I hope Ed feels better now. The direction to ignore the diabetes is interesting. The ALS does not cancel the blood sugar issues, I would think. Though I realize he needs as many calories as he can get. Keep on keeping on - I would love to have coffee sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lenore! It was good to see you, Brian and everyone else last weekend. We still check his blood sugar levels. The doctors think if he loses weight, he'll die faster. At times, we try to eat healthy. Other times, whether it's my schedule or his temperament, we just get him what he is in the mood for and that's usually something quick and easy for him to eat. Anyways... good to see you and yes! Let's get together.

      Delete