Sunday, April 6, 2014

Twitching

Think of ants crawling under your skin.  Or when you're really tired and your eye twitches.  That is what happens to Luther every day.

It's called F-A-S-C-I-C-U-L-A-T-I-O-N.

The nerves in your muscles lose their connection from the muscle and create a distress signal for another nerve to come rescue it.  This is the twitching.  You don't notice it at first until the muscles continue weakening.  The distress signal - the twitch - continues more and more aggressively until the muscles get so weak they stop working at all and the twitching stops.

It's like a double edged sword.   The twitching isn't painful, just annoying.  But once the twitching stops, it means the muscle is pretty much gone and you won't be able to move anymore.

At times, I can see the twitch.  Like shooting stars, you see his skin jump randomly.  Even though the twitching is rhythmic under his skin, it doesn't appear that way.  It's a twitch here, a twitch there.

If I'm touching his arm or his leg, you can feel the ants crawling.  It's an odd sensation for me, I can only imagine how odd it feels for him.

I don't want the twitching to stop, though.







No comments:

Post a Comment