Monday, October 20, 2014

Just when you think things are so bad, you see a guy with no legs and one arm at a Pearl Jam concert....

This idea was swirling around in my head last night at the Pearl Jam concert about how yukky Luther's life is heading.  Why a thought like this at a super excellent concert with super awesome seats?

Because he's confined to a wheelchair and it was hot and he hadn't moved in a few hours, his hands were cramped up and he was wearing these polyester sweatpants and sort of stuck to the seat.  I'm not sure he was thinking about this stuff:  he was busy rocking out in his own way.  I was just the worried wife.

As we left, waiting for an elevator, a drunk guy told us to take the stairs because we were hogging the elevator, which added to my mood.  

At that moment, this guy rolled up on a skateboard.  He had no legs and one arm.  He and his friend had not heard the drunk guy - he rolled up right after that.  But he and his friend were actually talking about taking the stairs to get down faster.  

A guy with no legs.  One arm, wheeling himself around on a skateboard.

I had to laugh - it was one of those inside my head "geez Lynn" laughs, not a funny, out loud laugh.

This happens to me every so often and it gets me to thinking about serendipity or fate or God's angels.

You get to feeling life is unfair or you get in a funk when something, someone crosses your path and makes you see things in a different light.

This was one of those moments.  Luther is heading toward total immobility.  It's profoundly affected our lives and quite frankly, I get to feeling sorry for us.

And then I see a guy with no legs and one arm - at the super awesome concert - getting around on a skateboard.

During the concert, Pearl Jam brought out Dr Jakub Tolar from the U of M Hosptial to talk about EB - which has a really long official name - a disease that causes the skin to be so fragile, it blisters and tears.  The U is leading the way with treatment for EB.     http://ebresearch.org/what-is-eb/

As the band brought a kid with EB up to the stage, that stopped me for a moment, too, and made me think about the good life Luther and have.

The concert was more than fantastic, I was with people I loved.  It's all about perspective.  

Just in case you want to enjoy a little Pearl Jam, click the link below!  

No comments:

Post a Comment